Thursday, January 28, 2010

Harlingen TX

Harlingen is a weird place. It is on the coast of the Gulf. Mexico is 15 min away. It was 75F while the whole country is snowed in or destroyed by the rains (like my house in Cal). Also there are almost no Texans. Everybody is from somewhere else. It is a winter escape for the cold state or canada residents. More variety for my audience. Since i didn't rent a car i took a taxi to the famous mexican restaurant. My driver was Amadeo (almost Mozart). He asked where are my chicas? I told him "i have one chica in Cal but on monday ... i should have two!" I had the best Tex Mex food. The service was the highest class. Not some dozed out student punks. Everyone took their job seriously.  The food was divine. Amadeo came to pick me up again. He already knew everything about my chicas. So we talked about his life in Texas.  

Next day i had rides from the concert association members. First one was a couple from Wisconsin  who took me to the authentic Texan BBQ place. That was true Texas. 


The ice tea here comes in gallons


They don't bother to cut chickens either. Just slap the whole thing on the grill and get'eeeeeeer doooooone. 


Incredible! I finished everything without any guilt. 

The second ride was Lois. We both agreed that she looked like mafia with those glasses. We had a drive-by Starbucks ritual and then she took me to the venue. 


The 1200 seat venue was full.   


I was nervous because it had video projection on the sides so i had to stay away from weird facial expressions.  



Since i was the only cowboy there


i gave them a good country show as well. 


Encore!


Tomorrow @ 5:30 am leaving for Cody WY. Can't wait for the snow and the mountains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment